Could not stop writing this letter to you. With hope and positivity I am looking up to you all as the future of mankind is being raised at homes.
During the past five months, the life as we knew it, has been changing so fast in front of us all that we could feel the change happening and could relate so well with the age old wisdom that – Change is the only constant.
As the things were taking different shapes in front of us, among other things, we could also see Education emerging in its new avatar. The traditional teaching has been replaced by Online Teaching and the roles of parents and teachers have merged.
In such a scenario, I have few questions to ask you all.
- Are you ready to accept the change? (which is still going on)
- Did you ever wonder what will be the new scenario of education?
- What will be your role in the hybrid model (a combination of online and offline teaching once the schools open) of education?
- Are you ready to home school your children?
- Did you ever visualize a world without schools?
- Could you have done something to collaborate with the teachers of your children?
- What could you have added to the learning of your children during this opportunity (though forced one) when you were available at home with your children?
- What is more important?
Basic competence in reading, writing arithmetic along with life skills
high proficiency in reading, writing and arithmetic without any life skills?
- Did you try to coach your children basic life skills for physical survival, like cooking, washing, cleaning etc. other than studies?
- Did you coach emotional stability, courage and resilience through your talks and actions to your children?
- Could you have done something to make the situation better?
Try answering these questions very honestly. I am sure your answers to yourself will help you to find out the meaning of education and identify your role in the education of your children.
Remember parents, education is not what happens inside the four walls of the class room, education is all about our experiences and leanings out of them.
This corona time was an excellent opportunity to make the most of such experiences happening to all of us together.
Did you make the most of this opportunity? If yes, keep it up. If not, you still have time to think over and make the most of the time available. Nobody is yet sure as to when the schools are reopening. The schools open or don’t, the life goes on. So the learning for life must go on.
Wishing you all courage and resilience.